Are you preparing for SSC JE Civil Exam then it’s a great way to start with SSC JE Civil Syllabus. So GATExplore have categorized SSC JE Civil Syllabus with a weightage of (Paper 1 & 2) in detail.
This year Staff Selection Commission is going to conduct an examination to recruit candidates for different posts. So aspirates appear in the exam they must check SSC JE Civil Syllabus below.
If you have chosen a Civil exam as your subject, then you might notice that SSC JE Civil Syllabus is so vast that it sometimes gets confusing to figure out where to begin.
Must Read: All about SSC JE 2020 Exam
- SSC JE 2020-21 Civil Syllabus
- SSC JE Civil Syllabus (Paper 1)
- SSC JE Paper 1 (Part -A) & Paper 2
- 1. Building Materials (Weightage: 8-13 Marks)
- 2. Estimating, Costing and Valuation (Weightage: 5-7 Marks)
- 3. Surveying (Weightage: 7-10 Marks)
- 4. Soil Mechanics (Weightage: 10-14 Marks)
- 5. Hydraulics (Weightage: 13-16 Marks)
- 6. Transportation Engineering (Weightage: 11-15 Marks)
- 7. Environmental Engineering (Weightage: 7-10 Marks)
- 8. Theory of structures (Weightage: 7-11 Marks)
- 9. Concrete Technology (Weightage: 4-6 Marks)
- 10. RCC Design (Weightage: 8-12 Marks)
- 11. Steel Design (Weightage: 6-9 Marks)
SSC JE 2020-21 Civil Syllabus
The SSC JE Civil exam is going to take place in 2 stages Paper-I & Paper-II. The first stage Paper I will be an objective type exam while Paper II will be a conventional type subjective exam.
SSC JE Civil Syllabus (Paper 1)
General Intelligence & Reasoning (Weightage – 50 Marks)
- Space visualization
- Decision making
- Visual memory
- Relationship concepts
- Arithmetical reasoning
- Verbal and figure classification
- Arithmetical number series etc
General Awareness (Weightage – 50 Marks)
- Questions will be aimed at testing the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him/her and its application to society.
- Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person.
- The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Polity, and Scientific Research, etc.
SSC JE Paper 1 (Part -A) & Paper 2
1. Building Materials (Weightage: 8-13 Marks)
- Physical and Chemical properties, classification, standard tests, uses and manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement (Portland), asbestos products, timber and wood-based products, laminates, bituminous materials, paints, varnishes.
2. Estimating, Costing and Valuation (Weightage: 5-7 Marks)
- Estimate, glossary of technical terms, analysis of rates, methods and unit of measurement, Items of work – earthwork, Brickwork (Modular & Traditional bricks), RCC work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering.
- Boundary wall, Brick building, Water Tank, Septic tank, Bar bending schedule, Centre line method, Mid-section formula, Trapezoidal formula, Simpson‘s rule.
- Cost estimate of Septic tank, flexible pavements, Tube well, isolates and combined footings, Steel Truss, Piles and pile-caps.
- Valuation – Value and cost, scrap value, salvage value, assessed value, sinking fund, depreciation and obsolescence, methods of valuation.
3. Surveying (Weightage: 7-10 Marks)
- Principles of surveying, measurement of distance, chain surveying, working of the prismatic compass, compass traversing, bearings, local attraction.
- Plane table surveying, theodolite traversing, adjustment of theodolite, Levelling, Definition of terms used in levelling, contouring, curvature and refraction corrections, temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level.
- Methods of contouring uses of contour map, tachometric survey, curve setting, earthwork calculation, advanced surveying equipment.
4. Soil Mechanics (Weightage: 10-14 Marks)
- Origin of soil, phase diagram, Definitions-void ratio, porosity, the degree of saturation, water content, the specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights, density index and interrelationship of different parameters, Grain size distribution curves and their uses.
- Index properties of soils, Atterberg‘s limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart.
- Permeability of soil, coefficient of permeability, determination of the coefficient of permeability, Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quicksand.
- Consolidation of soils, Principles of consolidation, the degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil, e-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement.
- Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test.
- Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures, Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test, standard penetration test.
5. Hydraulics (Weightage: 13-16 Marks)
- Fluid properties, hydrostatics, measurements of flow, Bernoulli‘s theorem and its application, flow through pipes, flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines.
- Irrigation Engineering: Definition, necessity, benefits, 211 effects of irrigation, types and methods of irrigation, Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, run off coefficient, rain gauge, losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc.
- Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies.
- Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals.
- Canal lining – types and advantages.
- Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well.
- Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit and Scour, Kennedy‘s theory of critical velocity.
- Lacey‘s theory of uniform flow.
- Definition of flood, causes and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, 13 preventive measure.
- Land reclamation, Characteristics of affecting the fertility of soils, purposes, methods, description of land and reclamation processes.
- Major irrigation projects in India.
6. Transportation Engineering (Weightage: 11-15 Marks)
- Highway Engineering – cross sectional elements, geometric design, types of pavements, pavement materials – aggregates and bitumen, different tests, Design of flexible and rigid pavements – Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road, Bituminous construction, Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage,
- Railway Engineering- Components of permanent way – sleepers, ballast, fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations and yards.
- Traffic Engineering – Different traffic survey, speed-flow-density and their interrelationships, intersections and interchanges, traffic signals, traffic operation, traffic signs and markings, road safety.
Must Read: SSC JE 2020 Application Form – Apply Now
7. Environmental Engineering (Weightage: 7-10 Marks)
- Quality of water, the source of water supply, purification of water, distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems, circular sewer, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances, sewage treatments. Surface water drainage.
- Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system.
- Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution cause, health effects, control.
8. Theory of structures (Weightage: 7-11 Marks)
- Elasticity constants, types of beams – determinate and indeterminate, bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported, cantilever and over hanging beams.
- Moment of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections, bending moment and shear stress for tee, channel and compound sections, chimneys, dams and retaining walls, eccentric loads, slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams, critical load and columns, Torsion of circular section.
9. Concrete Technology (Weightage: 4-6 Marks)
- Properties, Advantages and uses of concrete, cement aggregates, the importance of water quality, water cement ratio, workability, mix design.
- Storage, batching, mixing, placement, compaction, finishing and curing of concrete, quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold weather concreting, repair and maintenance of concrete structures.
10. RCC Design (Weightage: 8-12 Marks)
- RCC beams-flexural strength, shear strength, bond strength, the design of singly reinforced and double reinforced beams, cantilever beams.
- T-beams, lintels. One way and two-way slabs, isolated footings. Reinforced brickworks, columns, staircases, retaining wall, water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State(LSM) and Working Stress (WSM) methods).
11. Steel Design (Weightage: 6-9 Marks)
- Steel design and construction of steel columns, beams roof trusses plate girders.
SSC JE Civil Syllabus PDF – Download Here
Must Read: SSC JE 2020- 21 Important Dates